This is all a work of fiction.

Life is a fiction.

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Make Music Pasadena: 21 June 2008

I'm a week late, but hell- I'm here! I'll be brief about it. I went mainly to see The Raveonettes at 5:30 PM but I wanted to see what else was kicking, so I got there when it started at noon...

I arrived and snagged my free goodies- sponsors included Urban Outfitters, Filter Magazine (love), Dangerbird Records, and LA Weekly. I walked out with free CDs, Sea Wolf vinyl, Urban tote, free issues of Filter, and loads of other cool swag. Yay for being early! It was already cooking outside, a cool 101 degrees Farenheit, and a nice space with little shade at the bar calling my name as soon as I had my swag bag. First on: Plastiscines.

They're a Nylon-fueled favourite I had heard lots of good about, and though they performed at Coachella this year, they had a ridiculous time slot so they haven't really had their time to shine to the American audience. Hailing from the streets of Paris, this quartet's album LP1 has been on frequent rotation ever since their performance last Saturday. They remind me of The Go-Go's with a Parisian twist, every song packed with excitement and making you want to dance and singalong (even if you can't speak French, you can memorize and sing with their tune 'Zazie Fait De La Bicyclette' after the first chorus). They brought out a lot of the people from the shade to the front of the stage, and played the longest set of the day (their sound check went the smoothest). Here is a remix of their addictive song, 'Loser'. Be sure to check out their myspace for other original songs.



I waited for a bit for the "Special Guest" and it was bothering me not knowing who it was. After a sound check they finally started off with "Snakes and Ladders" and I kept telling myself, 'This is vrey familiar...' and I had to wait for the song to end (I honestly did not recognized who they were by looking at them) for the lead to announced that they "are Switches and are from the UK." Finally, a name, and I suddenly got excited because I had planned to go to the Nylon Music Tour that night with my friend, but obviously I decided to go to Warped Tour for a few more bucks. I would have only gone to see Switches and The Virgins, but I was happy to know Switches were on because I'd already managed to catch The Virgins live last October. Go me.
As for their performance, it was pretty weak. I usually enjoy everything I go to, but really. They didn't pull people to stand in the blistering sun to watch their performance like Plastiscines had managed. They were... well... stale. Maybe if it was a paid concert it'd be different? I don't care what band you are- a free or paid event, you better BRING IT 100%.

I took an hour break from the heat and skipped out on Division Day (I should have stayed...) but returned to catch The Little Ones. There was a huge increase of audience members, and it was their drummer's birthday that day (Happy Belated!). I hadn't gotten into many of their songs before except "Lovers Who Uncover" but their performance (which ended with that song) opened me to see what this LA band was all about. They have excellent stage presence, their lead talks to the audience between songs and keeps you interested. They look like they're enjoying themselves and do not carry this arrogance about them when they're on stage. Switches, please take notes. I'm looking forward to their new full legnth (damn me I should have taken notes- no I'm glad I didn't, I had fun)- and so should you. From the songs I heard, it's going to be fresh.
Autolux was on next, and the mad rush to get closer to the stage began as soon as The Little Ones closed their set. I didn't feel this excitement and I hadn't heard of them until about a week before the show (their song "Asleep at the Trigger") and I really didn't know what a fanbase they had until I got there. I figured they were a less popular Blonde Redhead- oh no, the LA trio is much more and very different. They had difficulties with their sound check- I could feel my skin starting to blister as the sun beams were eating away at it. When they started, I was mesmerized like I had been at the Blonde Redhead gig last October. So smooth, so rough, I can't describe it. I immediately donwloaded their only album, Future Perfect, as soon as I get home- I was surprised that for being a band for almost ten years they had only released one full legnth. they released a single, "Audience No. 2" and expect the new album later this year. Give a listen:

Finally I can wrap this baby up with the best performance of the day- The Raveonettes. For those who don't know, Sharin Foo, the female counterpart of the Danish duo is expecting a baby, so she has her sister, Loui, filling in for her. Naturally you would think that it would take away from the performance, but it was still an amazing performance. Loui did a great job, and I wasn't entirely bummed I didn't get to see but Sharin and Sune- Sharin was there! I feel like a little fangirl... after these years of listening to them it was an experience to finally see them. Truly interesting, you know what I'm saying? Not like when I was a child and I saw O-Town- that was an instant fadband thing. No, The Raveonettes are a credible, amazing band that I have been listening to for some years now. It was surreal. They really are an exsquisite live band- if they come to your area, you have to see them. No 'but's' about it, got me? Give a listen to their song "Aly Walk With Me" from their recent album, Lust Lust Lust:




Overall, this free event only cost me 6 water bottles and a gnarly sunburn on my back. It's still peeling... but yeesh, it was worth every moment.

No comments:

Hey You!

Scroll back to the top!

Click!