This is all a work of fiction.

Life is a fiction.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Zoo Story.

by Edward Albee. Have you heard of it? Have you read it? Have you seen it?

I have never seen it, but I have heard of it. And I have read it. And it is fantastic. If the name Edward Albee is familiar, I am sure you have heard of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"-- you know, the film where Liz Taylor is a raging drunk, screaming all of the time? That one. She was fabulous... I am starting to remember all of these things that my Junior year high school teacher had told me about all of the fabulous plays we had consumed that year. I had digested every single line- anticipating the drama, writhing in pain when something wrong would happen (though, we all know, that is always the writers intention). And, looking back at my only surviving copy of the plays we had read that entire year, Edward Albee's "The Zoo Story," I am completely madly endlessly in love with Absurdism.

The ironic thing about Absurdism is that it is an explanation- a suggestion of meaning- that the human search for meaning is a failure. A waste. No meaning to life exists.

Well, loosely that is what it means.

By Absurdism, I meant Absurdist literature. The writer leaves a lot up to the reader/viewer to interpret the characters morals, intentions, meaning. It is difficult to comprehend when someone is first exposed to it, and it is definitely something that isn't for everyone.

Epiphany! I have just realized that I have been in love with this work all of my (so far given) life! I have never realized that Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was considered absurdist... how could I have been so ridiculous? What word would ever describe such a story... but ABSURD. Absolutely. Does this mean that this will be the pinnacle of my week?
"You sound like an adopted child who has finally been given the chance to re-unite with her birth-parents."
To quote the most quoteable, the brainchild for theovercast.net.

What steps does it take to make an absurdist story? Can it take me five days? Please? I can cross my fingers... I really would like to have some things written... and so far, I have nothing decent in mind.

Hej hej,
Any

No comments:

Hey You!

Scroll back to the top!

Click!