This is all a work of fiction.

Life is a fiction.

Sunday, August 30, 2009

California's burning.

What else is new? I'm back here in little ol' Pasadena, dog watching little Gracie and that damned Marie-kitty. I woke up from a restless nights sleep of Gracie trying to nestle under the covers with me, and me battling to refuse her entry, along with extreme caution to not kick her off the bed in my sleep. I let Gracie out the back door to have her do her 'thing' outside, prepared my coffee half dead, then stepped back outside to summon her in.

Ashes are scattered across the patio.
The sun is a perfect circle, blood red-orange. The sky is illuminated with a purple and orange lining. To the north, though, it's a wall of black smoke. The smell, oh boy, this isn't your average camp-fire smell. It's magnified at least 27 times that. And the fact it was only 68 degrees outside made it all that much better.

Is it terrible of me to know that homes are particles floating away in the sky just 5 miles away, and I was standing in the backyard, watching the sunrise, and enjoying the wonderful scent of it all being taken away from them, knowing I'm safe down here, away from the foothills?

It is.
I'd never wish this tragedy on anyone.

But I can't ever pass up a moment where I can enjoy the smell of a good wildfire, enjoy the beautiful, manipulated colors in the sky, and enjoy the fact that I can sit at the kitchen table, with a cup of coffee and not have to worry.
It is all very selfish, but, again:

What else is new?

Hej hej,

Any

No comments:

Hey You!

Scroll back to the top!

Click!