This is all a work of fiction.

Life is a fiction.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

90210



Originally uploaded by Any Syler
It's baaack. Yep, I have been anticipating this return the moment I noticed Dustin Milligan was going to be on the show. Pretty shallow of me, but, what the hell- why not? That is, after all, what attracts people to new shows. Attractive people.

Well, I geeked out when I also found out it was two hours and Shanae (Darcy on Degrassi) was one of the lead characters.

(Please forgive me for the future writing of this entry, I am reaching total girl status with my words)

It started off pretty cliche- but, what isn't nowadays? Girl from Kansas moves to wealthy school... adopted brother of another race for an excuse of not having too many white kids-- the popular jock, Ethan (Dustin Milligan), is cheating on his GF (viewers get to witness an inferred blowjob within the first five minutes of the show), who can't write her paper because she is busy with her super sweet 16 (even though they all look like they are in their 3rd year of college)- which the party includes Cory Kennedy and The Cobra Snake (believe it, kids, they were on there) with guest music by Tilly and the Wall. What a mouthful.

I think what was more entertaining was finding all the links of this new show to the old show. I was watching it with my mother, and she got excited with lots of past references to the original show.

I still liked it.

As cliche as it was, I am still going to watch it. I know there is something fishy about the boy who took Annie to San Francisco on his private jet to dinner for the first date, and I can't wait to find out.

But my overall thinking about the future of this show? It will last 3 seasons, 4 maximum. It will not duplicate the caliber the original show made, either. The new 90210 will be like The OC- lots of interest surrounding the the first season, the second season dieing off, and by the third season, nobody really caring much (unlike me- I still cared very much for my weekly Cohen!). And by the fourth season, even for me, an avid, loyal fan, it became painful to watch. It was basically downhill when they decided to kill Marissa Cooper off. That was a brilliant plot twist, but fuck- make the audience think she's dead, don't really kill her! That's what did the show in. And it became a giant sketch comedy when Taylor entered... just horrible. I'm still sad it ended, it was truly and amazing show in it's time. Lot's of juicy plot, but it lost the longevity when one of it's powerhouse characters was shipped off.

This is why I predict 90210 will be like The OC, but maybe a little worse. There was a lot going on in those 2 hours. It felt more like a movie with a crummy ending than an actual TV show. So many things were tossed in the 2 hour (plus too many commercial) period, that I hope they don't run out of ideas. See, there are not many other shows that are aimed for teens that seem to work by gradually working things out and never seem to end and have at least ten memorable characters that you can identify and attach to. There is only one that comes to the top of my head:

Degrassi.

Yep, the Canadian drama that has been in my life since 2001, and I admit to still loving it. I have to admit it's the most believable, and the issues, the way they are approached, aren't forced. It's a very well written show, the actors are chosen correctly, gah, I can go on and on how perfect this show is for Young Adult entertainment. And now, approaching 2009, they're still going!

Well, here's some upbeat tunes I hope you like!



By the way, Electrojuice are a 14 and 15 duo from Denmark. Amazing, yes?!

Hej hej,
Any

No comments:

Hey You!

Scroll back to the top!

Click!